Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thank You Living Social...

I would just like to give one big thank you to the people at Living Social. When I woke up today I went about my usual routine, checking all the emails on my phone, yes ALL of them. I'm SO popular. Anyway something caught my eye..."Dirty Dancing Festival Admission." At first I was like OMG I am still dreaming because a) I would have known about a Dirty Dancing Festival and b) this sounded too good to be true. Honestly this was the quickest I've gotten out of bed in a while, but duty called and I had to find my computer ASAP. Lo and behold (yes first thing that comes to most of your minds is Lo hearts behold our green and gold....) right before my eyes was the Dirty Dancing Festival website. So before I go on anymore tangents, please take a second to enjoy one of my personal favorite scenes of the movie.... (let's be honest the whole movie is my personal favorite scene).



I really can't blog enough about my excitement in this matter. It was just last weekend in Charleston when I was hanging with Andy and Jane Andrews (Clarke was there in spirit since he was also watching in Raleigh) crying and getting chills watching Baby and Johnny's love story. Our hearts broke for Baby as she had to confront her dad on the porch and tell him that he had disappointed her too. SOB...who wants to tell their dad that he's disappointed them?! Then junior year of college I insisted Kelley drive to Raleigh to attend the 20th Anniversary Screening of Dirty Dancing at North Hills. Never have I ever felt so bonded with a group of women....the theater was sold out. Together we sang, cried, laughed, repeated lines we knew by heart, you get the idea. That same year I gave Kelley The Dirty Dancing Game for Christmas, which she has yet to play with me.

I know when I finally play I WILL have the time of my life. 

Anyway to get to the point of this whole post, after talking to Rebecca Jane and Dorothy we have decided lets make this dream a reality. Bec has a place we can stay and living social tickets are $12 (a bargain!!!). If you check out the website you will notice all the fun activities such as...

1) Dance Lessons- unfortunately Patrick Swayze will not be there (RIP). These are included in the Dance Festival Saturday. You can learn classics like the mambo, cha cha and merengue. 

2) Lake Lift Competition (need I say more?) I perfected that in the pool as a young child so it will be a cinch.

3) Watermelon Games (I'm assuming this means a watermelon carrying contest)
I mean who hasn't had that awkward moment of saying the wrong thing to a boy?? I'm the queen of awkward moments.

4) Golf Tournament on Sunday (I know this is going to get the boys to want to go...)
I mean this movie is SO relatable...how many times have you had to ask your dad for money?? 

A couple more things to note about the festival...

1) There is a screening of the movie out by the lake on Friday night.
2) Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers will be giving a concert- UM he sings the song "(I've Had) The Time of My Life." As in the original with Jennifer Warnes. Seriously he does I have both Dirty Dancing Soundtracks. 
3) The Embers along with some other bands and DJ's will be performing.
4) There is a "Time of Your Life Gala"- love an excuse to dress up.
5) There is a beer and wine garden...not even sure what this is but I like the sound of it.
6) Lastly there is a silent auction...I will not let the fact that I have NO money stand in the way of me and valuable Dirty Dancing memorabilia. 

If this hasn't gotten you excited, maybe these pictures will. 








I know it's a big football weekend, but really it's the Dirty Dancing Festival so lets get real. 



1 comment: