Monday, October 17, 2011

Farro & Wheatberry Salad...

I have had a couple requests to post this recipe. I got it from my aunt Cheryl and it's awesome!!! It's really healthy and a great thing to make at the beginning of the week and take to lunch. It's also a great side at dinner!

Ingredients:


Farro Grain, about a cup
Wheatberries, I just mix in a few with the farro, a little over a cup
Good Seasons Balsamic Vinaigrette, (the packaged kind that you make)
Lots of fresh Italian Parsley
Lots of fresh Basil (sometimes I use dried basil)
1 Cucumber, chopped
Tomatoes, chopped (I usually use about 4-5 roma tomatoes)
1 Yellow Pepper, chopped
1 Container Sliced Mushrooms, chopped
Green Onions, chopped
1 Can of Whole Kernel Corn, drained
1 Avocado, cut up (optional)
Kalamata Olives (optional)
Chicken, cut in bite size pieces (optional)
1 Package of Crumbled Feta Cheese
Salt and Pepper

1) Cook farro and wheatberries according to directions on package. You have to rinse these first, they cook for about 15 minutes.




2) Drain farro and wheatberries and chill in refrigerator.


3) Chop ingredients above.


4) Once the farro and wheatberries are chilled, add all of the ingredients above- Parsley, Basil, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Yellow Pepper, Mushrooms, Green Onions, Corn, Olives (I don't like olives so I don't use these), Chicken, Avocado (if you have a ripe one!). Mix all of these ingredients with the farro and wheatberries. Then season generously with salt and pepper.




5) Then prepare the Good Seasonings dressing. Cheryl told me she usually just mixes olive oil and balsamic vinegar with the seasoning package...I usually follow the directions but add extra balsamic vinegar!

6) Pour dressing over salad mixture, and stir to coat.

7) Lastly top salad with feta cheese. This stays good for a few days at least!!

No comments:

Post a Comment