Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 1 or 2, China

So this will be a fairly short post. No pictures with this one. We arrived in Shanghai around 4pm here, and 4am eastern time. To me it seems like it has been one long day... We got up at 5:15am on Monday, flew out of Raleigh to Chicago, then Chicago to Shanghai. However it was always light outside while we were flying so it seems like one long day to me. We had very nice and spacious seats on the plane, we were in a row of three, but we each had our own pod type thing. Next to my mom was a very nice guy named James, he is 23 and comes to Shanghai for work every 6 weeks. We may go out with him on Friday. On the plane I ate, slept and watched 3 movies: Life or Something Like It, Red Riding Hood and Cedar Rapids. I had already seen Life or Something Like It- just wanted something entertaining. I had wanted to see Red Riding Hood, but thought it was pretty stupid. I thought Cedar Rapids was pretty hilarious though...definitely recommend for guys and girls! Anyway the plane ride ended up being a little over 14 hours instead of 18, which was a pleasant surprise.

I was surprised when we got here by how quickly we got through customs AND by the humidity! Seriously they said on the plane it was 80 degrees F. Um it was the hottest 80 degrees I have ever felt- it's SO humid, muggy, sticky, hot, foggy, etc. Granted it was raining today. We literally got to the hotel and I was asleep with in like 2 minutes. Surprising actually because I took an ambien and a xanex (at different points) so I got plenty of sleep. Anyway our hotel room has 2 twin beds, but they are really comfortable. The only channel we can really find that is English on the TV is National Geographic...and it is some show "Falling From the Sky," all about plane crashes. Not particularly comforting considering I have about 4 more plane rides (over 5 hours) before returning to the US.

Anyway I will finish quickly....I was most surprised by how Chinese everything is. Obviously that seems like a very stupid statement, but I really just didn't know what to expect. I mean China is very Chinese. Everyone is extremely nice so far and the food has been good. I had a pretty bland dinner (which I wanted...) I had white rice (it was so good), chicken (it had a yellow'ish tint- which weirded me out, obviously not from Fresh Market- JK), and dumplings (SO delicious!).  I promise if I get to post tomorrow to have pictures and some more exciting news to share!! I am hoping Google will work the whole time I'm here (blog is through google), because China and google have a spotty relationship and apparently it works sometimes, and others it doesn't.

I'm off to bed! Seriously this TV show needs to go off..... We are on the 3rd plane crash story. I would turn it but Carole INSISTS on watching TV before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment