Thursday, June 9, 2011

Shanghai...

So it's official. I will be going to Shanghai, China on June 20th. I am going as my mom's "assistant." (She is going over there for a design job) I have VERY mixed feelings about this trip. I have been going back and forth about whether I wanted to go or not because, honestly, I have never had ANY desire to go to China. We will also be going to Vietnam, which for some reason I'm not nearly as concerned about as China.






Like most people, some of the first things going through my head when I was presented with this trip were:

1) Is Shanghai known for, at risk of, etc. earthquakes, tsunamis, or any other major natural disasters? I mean hello I just watched Hereafter with Matt Damon, Japan just had a huge earthquake/tsunami, etc. And while I am somewhat mentally prepared for a tsunami (I did the research, I have an idea of what to do) I'm NOT emotionally prepared. Anyway this is unnecessary worrying because apparently they aren't too at risk. Honestly, I would like to talk to someone official about this- like on a scale of 1-10 how serious is it. Moving on...
Yes I googled do they have tsunamis in Shanghai, China... This is VERY important information to me.


2) Is China still a communist country? Well I haven't really found a definitive answer. I have found both yes and no. Yes because many communists rule China and no because they don't say they are communist maybe? It's a capitalist country maybe? I'm not sure because I didn't care enough to look into it more, but I did recently watch Mao's Last Dancer, and I'm not going to lie I was a little concerned about communism. Hopefully it shouldn't affect me too much.  Yes I probably sound like an idiot but oh well.

3) What do people wear in China? Do I have the proper clothes?

4) Is there a H&M and Zara in China? did a little googling and yes to both!

5) How long is the plane ride? Oh just 18 hours... What will I do when my Ipad dies after 4 hours? They have power outlets on the plane.

6) What movies will they show on the plane?

7) Will I be too hungover after NYC?

I know that those are the typical questions that would pop into most people's heads....


I also found out some interesting facts:

1) Shanghai literally means "on the sea"-- UM worry #1 Are we positive they aren't at risk for tsunamis!??!

2) June is the rainy season. Of course.

3) Shanghai has the largest bus system on the planet.

4) Shanghai is the largest city in China, the population is around 19 million. HOLY COW!!

5) Shanghai is one of the top shopping centers in Asia. This was somewhat of a deciding factor for me... JK.

So to prepare for my trip today I have been filling out forms for my Visa and had to get a passport picture taken for my visa....

Apparently you can't smile in passport pictures...which is why this is so awkward. I'm like a child...when I'm told not to smile I have to fight back a smile....plus my hair is dirty. UGH. thank goodness its just a one time visa!!

1 of the 17 pages that I had to fill out...

Up close...


I read on one website it was important to learn Mandarin Chinese in order to communicate with the locals....HAHA does anyone know of a program that can teach me in two weeks?

Lastly, I'm also a little skeptical because I saw the Hangover 2 and Bangkok is huge and they kept saying people get lost there...is this a problem in Shanghai? Will I get lost?

I'm going to try and blog while there so we will see......Maybe even on the plane. Also if anyone wants to skype.... I'm a little nervous about the fact that there is like a 12 or 13 hr time difference.  XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment