Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chicken Tamale Casserole..

So after the Super Bowl, and really this past weekend in general, I'm really trying to eat a little healthier. Countdown to Vegas has officially begun and I need to be looking my best... Anyway the one main problem with this is that I love pretty much anything that is Italian or Mexican. I would seriously just switch off the two every night if I had absolutely no self-control. So last night (even though I was still full from the weekend...the grossest feeling in the world!!!) I was craving Mexican. Well I decided to go on Cooking Light's website and find some inspiration. Here is what I found:  http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001854020.

I hope that shows up because I'm too lazy to type out the recipe right now. Anyway basically you take a box of Jiffy cornbread, 1 egg (I already had eggs so didn't use the substitute), 1/4 cup of Mexican shredded cheese, 1/3 cup fat-free milk, 1 tsp of ground cumin, 1/8 tsp of ground red pepper, 1 can of cream style corn, and 1 can (4-oz) of chopped green chilies (drained) and you mix all of these together. I added some chopped sweet onions as well.



Then you spread this out into a 9x13 pyrex dish that has been sprayed with PAM. You bake this at 400*  for about 15 minutes, or until cornbread is set.

So this is what it looks like after it comes out of the oven the first time around. I probably should have let my cornbread cook a little more but oh well! So now you pierce the cornbread all over with a fork. Then you pour a can of red enchilada sauce over the cornbread. You then top with 2 cups of shredded chicken. (I used a rotisserie chicken and used 2 1/2 cups of chicken...I would recommend using more chicken)

Then on top of the chicken, you sprinkle another 3/4 cup of Mexican blend cheese.


After this is done you put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes. I added another 5 minutes just to let the cornbread set a little more...I would recommend doing this before adding the enchilada sauce, etc. Here is what the finished version looked like...
Then you cut into squares and serve with a tablespoon of light-sour cream on top and a side salad!

It turns out a little messy and it's not so pretty but it is delicious!! I would definitely recommend trying for all you Mexican lovers out there!! I'm getting ready to eat some leftovers for lunch...YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment