Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day Dinner

Here are 2 good recipes for you. Both are fairly easy but somewhat time consuming! (please keep in mind that I was letting myself indulge for Valentine's Day...these are not diet friendly!!)

 Crescent Chicken Squares

1 (3-oz) cream cheese, softened (I probably use more like 5-oz...I didn't say it was healthy!!)
3 tbsp. margarine, melted
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. onion, chopped (once again I used a little more bc I think it adds flavor)
1 (8-oz.) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls (I recommend buying 2 just in case you mess up! I always do!)
1 tbsp. margarine
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten

Start by preheating your oven to 350*.

Blend softened cream cheese and 3 tbsp. of melted margarine until smooth. I do this in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, but you could probably just stir well.


Then you will add the cooked chicken, salt, pepper, milk and onion to the cream cheese mixture.



Next you will separate the rolls into 4 rectangles and seal the perforations. Spoon a little bit (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup) of the chicken mixture on the middle of each rectangle.


You will then pull the corners of the dough to the center to seal.



I didn't do the next step how I usually do so I will just have to tell you without pictures. In a bowl mix your slightly beaten egg and 1 tbsp. margarine melted. In another bowl place the bread crumbs. Take each ball of goodness and dip first into the egg mixture, and then lightly into the bread crumbs. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes.


I served it with sauteed mushrooms and a spinach salad. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture before I started eating which is why my plate looks so messy!!

Terrific Texas Sheet Cake (One of my dad's favorites growing up!)

So I have a few disclaimers about this recipe...it is supposed to be cooked in a very large pan, cookie sheet so it will be thin. I don't have one so my baking time always varies. Also, the icing goes on while it's still hot which can look messy. I shared this one with my roommates, and Cassie and Cam which explains the missing pieces.

Cake:
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup cold water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda

Icing:
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp buttermilk
1/4 cup cocoa
1 (16-oz) package powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300*.

First you will combine 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of flour in a large bowl.

Then you will mix margarine, cocoa, water and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.


Then you will pour this mixture over the dry ingredients (flour and sugar).


Add eggs, buttermilk and baking soda. Stir together. Then pour batter into greased and floured 15x2x12-inch or 18x12x2-inch baking pan. (the cake is supposed to be cooked in a jellyroll pan which looks like a cookie sheet with 2-inch sides...it's supposed to be very thin.) Bake at 300* for 30 minutes. If you use a different size pan (a smaller one) then you will notice that it may not be done after 30 minutes, cook until the cake is set.

Meanwhile...you will begin preparing the Fudge Frosting.
Combine margarine, buttermilk and cocoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. I don't ever use the whole bag of powdered sugar, probably about 3/4's of the bag. Taste the icing as you go along to make sure it's not getting too sweet. Stir all of this together.

Once the cake is ready take it out of the oven and let it set for about 5 minutes. While cake is still warm pour icing over the cake. It will eventually harden...if it doesn't no worries it will be a gooey, yummy mess! Obviously I got a little distracted and forgot to take a picture before I gave some to Cassie. But I did my best...

Cassie was a lot smarter than I was and stuck to a simple heart.


Please note that although the fudge icing goes on while the cake is warm, it is best to let the cake cool before adding decorative icing... OOPS!

By the time I ate it, all the white icing had smeared together. But it was still delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment