Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rob's "Man" Room....

Rebecca Jane and Rob are in the process of trying to buy a house. I had the pleasure of going with Bec to look at it a few weeks ago and it's SO cute. With some minor changes, like painting, it's going to look great. One of the best parts about the house is that it has two living rooms. Being the sweetheart she is, Bec has decided to let Rob have the back living room as a "man cave." So today when I got a little bored I decided to put together some inspiration for her... The room has wood paneling all the way around and I knew that Bec planned on painting it a darker color. Here's a picture of the room from the internet...


The room is pretty pretty big, therefore the Pontons have a lot of space to work with.  I think Bec had more of a gray'ish or darker blue in mind but for some reason I kept going back to brown...so there may be other posts about this room! Anyway the following rooms inspired my mood boards...




















                                                        (Pictures from Elle Decor)

Then immediately I decided that Rob needed this sofa that I'm DYING to have one day in my house from Restoration Hardware:
Lancaster Leather Sofa... Unfortunately the brown leather wasn't matching the fabrics how I wanted it to and the elephant fabric was non-negotiable. So I have moved on. But just one more note on Restoration Hardware's leather sofas...I'm not into leather sofas. However, these things are WONDERFUL. The are so pretty in person and so comfortable. They are super wide and can fit 2 people lying flat...this is important to me because when I get married my husband and I will spend days laying at opposite ends of the sofa reading. Anyway I'm moving on...

So instead of starting with the sofa and moving on, I decided to look for fabric. I fell in love with the following piece of fabric. I found it online at Milton Fabrics but couldn't figure out the manufacturer through the website...so if you know please tell me so I can give credit where credit is due! 
So once I found and fell in love with this fabric, I knew the room needed to go around this. I think the walls would need to be a chocolate brown or taupe with cream color molding, but I didn't pick out paint colors...just keep that in mind when imagining the room. I think this fabric would be great on two armchairs with either a brown velvet sofa or a cream sofa. UPDATE: Found 2 paint colors that would be great:
The above color is Farrow & Ball's Mouse's Back, also shown below in a room


The below color (shown in the room) is Benjamin Moore's Marshlands...


I think this floral above would be great for drapes.

This dot would be a good light neutral for an ottoman that could also serve as a coffee table. Gotta have plenty of places for boys to put their feet up and relax. But don't want the room to get too dark.

This could be used as big pillows on a chocolate brown sofa.

I also have this fabric for big pillows on the sofa. Love this one too!

Then there would be two side tables, which can be a variety of things. But more importantly are the lamps. My first choice would be these Barbara Cosgrove foo dog lamps that I have been lusting over since I saw them at the Furniture Connector in Charlotte and didn't buy them. UGH. Showing them in a room to really do them justice... *I also think that robins egg blue lamps would be great in this room to add a pop of color, but I know how Rob feels about Carolina blue...

OR 
One of my favorite lamps by Currey & Co. for a little less flair.


So putting all of that together this is the mood board I created for Bec. You have to imagine the chairs are covered in that fabric as well as the ottoman, that the floral fabric is drapes and the walls are chocolate brown. A lot to picture. Plus of course we are going to have to throw in a couple of garden stools for extra places to put those alcoholic beverages. 

Here's the other mood board I did, showing the fabric closer up and some other options.
I also think that a bar cart on the other side of the room would be great. I found a couple that I think would work, although that red one from the mood board above would be AWESOME. 



I found this one at 1stdibs.com and it is listed by Tom Thomas.

I personally like this one the best. I found this one at 1stdibs.com and it is listed through Maison Jansen Style.

Although there are many other details, like rugs, accessories, etc., I decided to end with some great coffee table books for guys (all available on amazon.com) that would look great in Rob's man cave...

1) Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen it Before


2) Bond Girls are Forever: The Women of James Bond Books

3) Where Golf is Great: The Finest Courses of Scotland and Ireland

4) Russell James: V2

5) According to the Rolling Stones

6) Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips

7) Sports Illustrated: Athlete

8) The Allure of Women

9) Poolside with Slim Aarons

10) Wind and Water: Boating Photographs from Around the World

11) Lost Balls: Great Holes, Tough Shots and Bad Lies

Well that's it for now! Maybe more on another day, or maybe another room!!











No comments:

Post a Comment